Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Viaduct Comes Down


Yesterday at noon I walked down to see what was happening with the viaduct. As many of you know, The Alaska Way Viaduct is being demolished in steps as the city prepares to replace it with a tunnel along the Seattle waterfront (Hello Boston). The southernmost one mile is coming down this week, causing significant traffic issues because this roadway usually carries 100,000 vehicles a day. This image is looking north towards the city. A temporary roadway is being  prepared and will open on November 1.
On the way back to the office I came across this gentleman who agreed to let me take his picture for just a small donation. I probably should have used a fill flash to lighten the shade, but I love the flowing beard and his crinkly eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment